Thursday, November 13, 2008

Week 2

I've been told that i was a little too negative and cynical in my first post so be prepared for some sweetness and light (the fact that beno referred to cantoo as charity nazis kind of gives it away!)

I had my first surf session on Saturday and it was lots of fun. i actually had some stuff about the surf explained to me which really complimented what i have decided for myself over the years. We must have looked a sight- about 50 people of varying ages and body shapes donning bright orange swim caps running through the breaking waves and porpoising through waves about 1 foot high. I took a pretty cool trip on the escalator (rip at the point of south steyne) and realised i do need my goggles if only for a small swim.

The bad news was it was bloody hard. it's one thing to run into the surf and then have a nice little swim. it's just silly to run into the surf, around a dude in a wetsuit and back onto the beach to do it again.

It was nice tho to meet a bunch of new people and the fact that Maya and Eva were hanging around worked wonders with the ladies (note to all the boys find some small kid and act like their yours- you can sort out the truth later- and watch them swarm).

The second pool session was pretty cool too. We found out that one person has raised the minimum already which makes my $0 look a little sad (hint hint). Having said that she works for Macquarie and her efforts totalled emailing her workmates!

I've also been putting in some effort outside of the standard sessions which has been fun (swimming laps and walking etc) and horrible (core strength). Overall i think things are coming along really well. i'll try to get some photos and stuff to make future posts a bit more interesting.

Thanks for taking the time and please comment so i don't feel like i'm writing for myself

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ryan,
    Top Dog Charlie here. Lyn showed me your blog and I'm really impressed... can I suggest a bit of dog paddling? Lyn and I are going to sponsor you for sure. I've convinced her that the effort is worth more than a measly fifty four bucks, so we're going for $5 for every 100 metres. Big lick on the face to you and the girlies.
    - Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on the sweetness and light, much appreciated. And I can vouch for the girls being chick magnets - wow, that was scary. Hordes of women in speedos and swimcaps lurching out of the sea for a look at the little ones. They were pretty cute though, I have to admit!

    Great work with all the early morning training sessions down at the pool, too - way more motivated at 5am than I could ever be :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lyn, or sorry charlie,
    funnily enough one of the strokes i had to do in training last wednesday was a variation of dog paddle called long dog. it's, as you might guess, just like dog paddle but your strokes are longer. with some of these strokes i'm not sure if they're there to help us swim better or to entertain the coaches. the worst is one with one arm forward the other down our side with our body going from facing down to side on (like freestyle breathing on one side) and kicking. it was incredibly unproductive and incredibly hard not to drown!

    ReplyDelete