Wednesday, November 19, 2008

starting to work

The training has picked up a gear now, both with the coaches and my effort outside of these sessions. I've basically had a swim, gone for a bike ride or a long walk every day in the past week. it seems to be paying off which is good. i was pretty happy with my effort last night- my stroke is starting to feel really good and my coach seems to be happy (but there's a chance he's just being encouraging). My lane -the lowest one before the people who can't really swim any great distance- was empty bar me last night due to some dropping out, some dropping down and some moving up. This was a good thing though cause it meant i didn't have to worry about getting stuck behind anyone and could luxuriate in the whole lane. But as a result i was keeping an eye on the better lane next to me and was pretty well keeping up with people who were actually fit. We swam a total of 1.75ks last night which, though broken up, is the furthest i have ever swam.

I took my enthusiasm down to the beach this morning to do manly to shelly. The surf had other ideas as it was huge and messy. i walked to Shelly instead and planned to swim to Manly. This didn't work so well as i had a bit of a crisis of confidence as i hit the waves drawing out to the bower. Being really early (before 6) not many people were about and i felt pretty isolated. Visibility was practically 0 and i didn't feel like i was really going anywhere so i wussed out and swam back in. Not a long swim at all and i was pretty dirty with myself after getting out. I plan to get right back on the horse tomorrow morning and just push through.

On a positive note, being so disappointed with myself, i pledged to ride all the way up the hill without getting off and pushing (for anyone who doesn't know i live on top of a huge hill). i normally go up Margaret st and end up pushing for about 30 or so metre and then ride the rest of the way up woods. today i pushed through which was great but now means i can't allow myself to get off again. What have i done?!

On the fundraising side i'm really happy. I've gotten donations from only a handful of people but those people have been very generous (particularly Jane and Lyn, thanks again guys) and i am well on my way to my half way total. I was thinking i was going to have to work harder at the fundraising than the swimming but if this early generosity continues i will have no problems at all.